Coconut Flour Recipes: Crepes or Faux Tortillas!

gluten-free coconut flour tortillas

Grain-free, gluten-free tortillas made with coconut flour.

This is a submission to Penny Wise Platter Thursdays, at TheNourishingGourmet!

Today I present a recipe that I have adapted from Tropical Traditions FreeCoconutRecipes.com website for Coconut Flour Crepes. I use these crepes for breakfast to help get in a good source of protein (sometimes I fill them with sunflower seed butter, banana, coconut and cinnamon, with a little drizzle of honey).

Recently I have been making creamy spinach enchiladas with these crepes, using them as tortillas. I can’t tell you how well they work as a substitute for low carb tortillas, as the texture is very similar. Follow this recipe exactly. I use egg whites only to provide a thin, tortilla like texture. I usually like to keep the whole egg in tact, to provide myself with the complete spectrum of nutrition. If you want more of a fluffy pancake, use a whole egg, with the yolk.

Recipe: Coconut Flour Recipe: Crepes or Faux Tortillas

Ingredients

• 1 TBSP. Coconut Flour
  • 1/16 tsp. baking powder
  • Two Egg Whites, from two eggs (OR, 3 TBSP. egg whites)
  • Two TBSP. Water (or Coconut Milk)

Instructions

1. Mix the coconut flour and baking powder with the water (or milk) and egg whites. Whisk or blend until all lumps disappear (I usually mix, then wait a couple of minutes and mix again).
  2. Pour batter on heated pan greased with coconut oil or butter (grease well). Pour batter in center of pan. Tilt the pan around to spread the batter into a large circle, almost covering the entire bottom of the pan.
  3. Be very careful with this part: Wait until the edges are brown on the side of the tortilla, or carefully circle spatula around the bottom of tortilla until safe to flip. Once safe, flip the toritilla and cook for about 30 seconds on the other side.
  4. Fill with cream, berries, enchilada filling–anything you like!

Makes 1 Coconut Flour Tortilla

CAREFUL: I have made this coconut flour tortilla crepe many, many times, and many times I have wounded up with scrambled coconut flour eggs. Not pretty, and won’t help in an enchilada recipe. Find a way of “knowing” that the other side of the tortilla is cooked well and that you can easily circle the tortilla with a spatula underneath. Then, when you know it is safe, turn it over to cook.

*Hopefully I can post a recipe everyday along with an article on other health topics every other day. Give me the encouragement to do so! I need you guys to really kick me into doing this, because sometimes I put too much on myself to start writing. I’m here for you! :)

If you like this recipe, then you will love the recipe coming up tomorrow–creamy, gluten free, low carb spinach enchiladas.

Grain Free, Low Carb Enchiladas

This is The Healthy Advocate.

If you like this recipe, you will love my new cookbook with brand new gluten-free and grain-free recipes, The Unconventional Gluten-free Cookbook, which you can download now instantly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
22 Responses to “Coconut Flour Recipes: Crepes or Faux Tortillas!”
  1. Marisa's Kitchen Talk 16 September 2010 at 10:50 pm #

WOW those look great. I’m going to give it a try.
    Would you know how many carbs per Crepes??

• Brandon May 16 September 2010 at 11:11 pm #

Hi Marisa! I’m glad you like them. Each crepe has about 2 grams of net, digestible carbs (3 grams fiber, 5 grams total carb).

Good luck! :)

-Brandon

2. lizeckel 17 September 2010 at 2:31 pm #

looking forward to the enchiladas!!!
    i’ve been missing tortillas, and haven’t been adventurous enough to try making a recipe for them yet!
    thanks for the great blog, keep on blogging in the free world~

3. Brandon May 17 September 2010 at 2:56 pm #

Thanks for visiting lizeckel! I hope you like them. :)

4. kmatthys 19 September 2010 at 10:10 pm #

These look great, Brandon! I’m so excited try them! Really looking forward to the spinach enchilada recipe. My mouth is watering. :) I appreciate you taking the time to inform us about all this.

• Brandon May 19 September 2010 at 10:13 pm #

Thank you for stopping by! I will have the enchilada recipe up on Monday.

-Brandon

5. Michelle 26 September 2010 at 2:09 pm #

Can you do up a big batch of the mix and then fry a bit at a time? I don’t have a 1/16 t measure…i guess the bp packs in well enough to try to get a fairly even half from 1/8 tsp. Is that how you do it? Actually i wonder if there is a sub for the bp for people on gaps or scd? Thanks! Can’t wait to try these!

• Brandon May 26 September 2010 at 2:52 pm #

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for stopping by. I usually make a big batch of these for enchilada night around here. I make enough for 12 tortillas. You can get away with not using any baking powder at all, especially if you want a more thin, tortilla like texture.

-Brandon

6. i.pooticus 27 September 2010 at 6:29 pm #

Can you give us the recipe for the crepes that will make 12 crepes please? I hesitate to multiply the number of egg whites by 12 for the 1 crepe recipe and would be more comfortable hearing how you make these crepes in quantity.

Thanks!

• Brandon May 28 September 2010 at 1:48 am #

Tonight I made a variation of the enchilada recipe but with chicken and a white sauce. So good. I made the crepes again and made sure I wrote it down for you.
      Tonight I only made 4 crepes. I used only 9 TBSP. egg whites, or egg whites from 6 eggs (egg whites equivalent to 3 eggs). I then used 7 TBSP. water, plus 3 TBSP. coconut flour. Whisk it all together, and pour in batches about 1/4 cup at a time, making sure to swirl the pan around to make a larger, thinner tortilla. I got about 4 5.5″ coconut flour tortillas out of this recipe.

So, for twelve, you can use 9 eggs (OR 9 egg whites from 18 eggs OR 18 TBSP. egg whites). Did this make sense? Let me know. Hopefully I can get the newer enchilada recipe up and running, with the appropriate measurements for the tortillas to make 12.

-Brandon

7. shara 29 September 2010 at 10:39 pm #

You mentioned using the crepe recipe, but making chicken enchiladas w/ chicken and white wine sauce. Could you post that recipe, too? Or maybe you have already and I didn’t see it….

• Brandon May 29 September 2010 at 11:01 pm #

Hi Shara,

I haven’t posted the recipe yet, but I will soon. Hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for visiting, and stay tuned!

-Brandon

8. Katie 1 October 2010 at 12:24 am #

I have been dying for tortillas for the past two years. Thank you so much for sharing this; I am enjoying the recipes!

• Brandon May 1 October 2010 at 12:45 am #

Thanks for stopping by Katie! I hope to post more recipes soon. :)

-Brandon

9. Becky D 24 March 2011 at 7:13 am #

Thank you! I’ve seen other, much more complicated grain-free tortilla recipes, and haven’t had the time. This one looks simple, and is a GREAT way to use up egg whites! I use egg yolks in smoothies, and also to make mayonnaise, and always have egg whites left. We can only eat so many macaroon cookies! :D

• admin 24 March 2011 at 10:23 am #

I’m glad you enjoyed it Becky! :)

-Brandon

10. paleo secret recipes 3 August 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Very helpful post man, thanks for the info.

• admin 3 August 2011 at 1:08 pm #

Thanks for visiting! :)

11. Heather 1 November 2011 at 3:36 pm #

This recipe looks awesome! I will usually splurge on Mexican food once a month and now I don’t have to eat the flour ones anymore! yay! I’m going to make beef, avocado filled tortilla’s tomorrow using your recipe :)

12. Anne-Marie 4 August 2012 at 8:20 am #

I’ve been looking for a good wheat-free tortilla recipe for a very long time. Can’t WAIT to try these out. Thanks so much for posting :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Healthy Low Carb Spinach Enchiladas | - September 28, 2010

[...] 12 Coconut Flour Tortillas [...]

2. Healthy Low Carb Spinach Enchiladas | The Healthy Advocate - February 19, 2012

[...] 12 Coconut Flour Tortillas [...]