Gluten Free, Corn Free, Grain Free Thanksgiving Dressing

This post is a participation in The Nourishing Gourmet’s Healthy Food Carnival: Whole Foods for the Holidays!

After giving up grains, corn and gluten to aid in elevating my health, I found it quite hard to resist the offers from my friends and family members of the traditional cornbread stuffing at Thanksgiving. So far I’ve been compromising by having a little every holiday, since I never eat corn at any other day. I have just found, however, that I do not need to compromise anymore!

The other day I was on a mission. I had to make a gluten free stuffing recipe for a grain free, gluten free Thanksgiving. It had to taste EXACTLY like the original. I had to make the cornbread first, that I knew. That’s going to be a bit difficult. Wait, I asked myself, could almond flour work? It might, but on its own? I love using coconut flour for everything, so what about a combination of the two? Will it, could it? I put everything together and got the perfect mock cornbread for my gluten free dressing. This tastes like cornbread, but it has virtually no insulin-spiking carbohydrates (this cornbread has 99% less carbohydrates than traditional cornbread!), it’s high in protein and fiber and is fairly easy to put together. Thanks to The LowCarbist for the inspiration for this recipe!

You can have this cornbread on its own, or make this gluten free dressing recipe and serve alongside with Elana Amsterdam’s gluten free herb gravy. Or you can just make both for your amazing gluten free Thanksgiving. Thank goodness for the internet and the amazing sources of culinary knowledge out there today, making it easy for all whole food, organic health nuts like us when finding alternatives to old favorites.

Gluten Free, Grain Free Dressing

For the Mock “Cornbread”

1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 TBSP. xylitol or Sugar Alternative
2 eggs
2-4 TBSP. Almond or Coconut Milk
1/4 cup Organic Sour Cream
2 TBSP. Melted Butter (I didn’t use any, but it will help the taste)
A pinch of Turmeric for color (optional)

Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt and xylitol together in a medium bowl. Add the sour cream, eggs, and melted butter. Mix well until a runny batter forms. If the batter is too stiff, add a couple of TBSP. of almond/coconut milk to the mixture, or maybe another egg (1 TBSP. at a time).

Pour into a well greased 8 inch baking pan. Bake in a 375 degrees preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until firm (insert a fork into the center and make sure it comes out clean).

Let cool for a couple of hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.

Nutrition Information (per 1/8th of recipe):

Protein: 3.75 g – Net Carbohydrates: 1.75 g – Fat: 7 g – Calories: 109

For the Gluten Free Dressing:

“Cornbread” recipe, crumbled
2 stalks organic celery, diced
1/2 onion, diced or cut according to preference
1/2-1 tsp. Celtic Himalayan Sea salt, depending on taste
1 1/2 tsp. powdered sage (or more–I like a strong sage)
Grinds of Pepper
1/2 cup of organic, free range chicken broth
1 egg

Mix the crumbled cornbread together with the salt, pepper and sage. Throw in the celery and onion and combine well. Add the chicken broth and mix thoroughly. Add more than written if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste preference. Add the egg to the mixture and mix well.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, or until set Keep an eye on this while it cooks..

Nutrition Information (Per 1/6th of recipe)

Protein: 6 g! – Net Carbohydrates: 3 g – Fat: 10 g – Calories: 166

_________________________________________________________

For my sugar free, gluten free Thanksgiving, I will be making my own pumpkin pie with the amazing crust by Kelly over at The Spunky Coconut. I will also be making sweet potatoes, sugar free cranberry sauce, mashed cauliflower and a raw green salad to start off the feast. But more so, I will be giving thanks for the things in my life thus far. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Other Gluten Free Thanksgiving Blogs You Might Be Interested In:

Elana’s Pantry – Gluten Free Thanksgiving 2010
Gluten Free Girl – Gluten Free Thanksgiving 2010
My Artful Life – Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
10 Responses to “Gluten Free Dressing (Corn Free) with THE BEST Low Carb, Grain Free Mock "Cornbread" (Nutrition Information Included)”
  1. Carla 23 November 2010 at 1:48 pm #

This sounds fabulous! I need to go lower carb and this would be a welcome treat for those times I just crave stuffing :)

• Brandon May 23 November 2010 at 9:05 pm #

I’m glad you enjoyed this Carla. Thanks for stopping by!

2. Nan 24 November 2010 at 4:59 pm #

We’ve been drawing swords over here. I have weaned my family off most grains, but then they saw the holiday on the horizon, instigating The Great Thanksgiving Stuffing Conflict. My husband craves cornbread stuffing, my daughter insists on rice bread – and me, I desire a grainless stuffing. My blade the dullest because I lacked a recipe.

Thanks to you my sword is sharpened and I shall reign victorious!

En garde!
    Nan

3. Nan 26 November 2010 at 1:38 am #

An update. Once they tasted the stuffing, they conceded.

It truly mocks cornbread. We heard it chortling in the oven. “You ain’t got nuth’in on me cornbread. Nuth’in!” Sassy little dish.

FWIW:
    -You missed a step – adding the broth at the end. :^)
    -Because I made it the same day, I let it cool, then cubed it and tossed it on the dehydrator for a few hours.
    -I used turkey wing/giblet broth & added a little wing meat.
    -Because I omitted the onion, I increased the celery and added an extra egg.
    -Do you cover yours? I did, with foil.
    -While it cooked, I concocted a thick grain-free mushroom gravy for both the stuffing and the steamed green beans.
    -It’s filling. In my estimation the recipe yields 6 servings.
    -My husband & daughter rated the stuffing with gravy a 9 out of 10.

Abundant thanks for bringing this dish to our table.

4. Brandon May 26 November 2010 at 2:38 am #

Thank you for this comment Nan! I want to thank you for pointing out my missing step, as it’s a really important one! ;) I covered mine with foil, as well. Thank you for making my Thanksgiving Nan. :)

-Brandon

5. SM Russell 2 December 2011 at 10:40 am #

Do you know the sodium content of your mock cornbread? I am diabetic and must also eat low sodium. Most quick breads are right out unless I get get one of those sodium free baking powders to actually work for me (so far no luck). I’m a Southern gal and miss cornbread the most.

6. Philis 11 March 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Brandon, finally tried the cornbread a few days ago not expecting it to taste like you described. My husband & I are truly amazed – it does taste like cornbread! Forgive me for doubting you. :)

It is quite amazing how good – gluten free can be.

Great job and thank you for sharing.

• admin 11 March 2012 at 2:08 pm #

Hi Phillis, I’m so happy it worked out for you! I’m glad you both enjoyed it. :) I will be experimenting sometime soon by adding fresh jalapeño into the mix to have a Mexican “cornbread”. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tamale Pie: Gluten-Free Casserole | The Healthy Advocate - September 8, 2011

[...] cream and salsa, if you prefer. Nutrition analysis per serving is detailed below. I am using my mock cornbread recipe to replace the high carb corn bread found in the original recipe, but you can feel free to [...]

2. Tips For a Healthy Thanksgiving | The Healthy Advocate - November 23, 2011