Countdown to Christmas: Day One – Healthy Almond Flour Holiday Cookies!
These cookies are my all time favorite healthy holiday recipe. They are adapted from a recipe from Healthy Indulgences and use protein rich almond flour, fat burning coconut oil and sweet raw honey. The sugar from the honey comes to around 2 grams per cookie, and this natural sugar is bound by the fats from the almonds and coconut oil which greatly decrease their impacts on blood sugar. You can try and omit the honey for a completely sugar free cookie, but you will need to replace the same amount of liquid with something sticky and smooth (and increase the stevia or xylitol to make up for it).
These cookies will be very soft once you take the pan out of the oven, so don’t remove until at least 10 minutes after cooling or they will crumble. I suggest cooling them in the refrigerator over night in a sealed container as they become crispy and so good. Your guests, family and friends will love these cookies and everyone will be asking for the recipe. Trust me. Try them, won’t you?
- ¾ cup fine almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut meal (dried coconut pulsed in the blender or food processor)
- ⅛ tsp. Stevia Extract
- 2 TBSP. Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1/8 tsp. Himalayan Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp. Baking Soda
- Pinch of Baking Powder
- 2 TBSP. Raw Honey
- 2 TBSP. Melted Coconut Oil
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Create a double boiler with a smaller bowl and melt coconut oil (or butter) and raw honey together until smooth.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix well until a sticky dough forms.
- Measure 2 tsp. of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly damp your fingers and flatten the balls of dough into cookie rounds.
- Place the cookie sheet into a preheated oven at 250 degrees fahrenheit.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes--avoid burning.
- Take out; cookies will be soft.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and cool further for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.
There will be more Christmas cookie recipes with pictures, and many more healthy holiday recipes, so stay tuned!
This is The Healthy Advocate.
This recipe is a part of The Nourishing Gourmet’s Penny Wise Platter Thursday!