Coconut Milk Fudge

This post is a part of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday!

I love fudge, especially this easy fudge recipe. Throughout the day, I can pop open the freezer door to help myself to a piece and feel no guilt – only chocolate pleasure. If you’re thinking I’m sounding a bit like Katie over at  Chocolate Covered Katie, then you are right. I’ve been browsing her site quite a bit lately, coming up with fantastic chocolate ideas for my own recipe book.

Most fudge recipes have pasteurized dairy and plenty of sugar to get your blood sugar, and your insulin levels, skyrocketing. This increases inflammation, causes weight gain and increases the signs of aging. Not very tasty anymore, is it? Although this is by no means a perfect recipe (I have a really, really cool fudge recipe coming out later in the summer), it’s a great quick fix to have on hand when you’re having a chocolate kind of day.

5.0 from 1 reviews

Coconut Milk Fudge
Candy

Easy coconut milk fudge.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup homemade, full-fat coconut milk
  • ½ cup coconut palm sugar
  • 8 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped or grated
  • ¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts

Instructions
  1. In a small saucepan, stir together the coconut milk and coconut palm sugar together until the palm sugar is completely dissolved.
  2. Stir in chopped or grated chocolate and melt completely.
  3. Take off heat and let cool for one minute.
  4. Stir in vanilla.
  5. With a hand rotary mixer, mix the mixture on medium speed until completely smooth.
  6. Stir in nuts, if using.
  7. Pour fudge in an 8×8″ glass dish lined with natural wax or parchment paper.
  8. Chill in refrigerator or freezer until firm.

Coconut palm sugar is a low-glycemic, natural sweetener that isn’t loaded with fructose. It will not raise your blood sugar as quickly as regular sugar, making it a healthier alternative. You might be able to try xylitol, but note that I haven’t tried xylitol with this recipe. Honey might be another good option, but you must remember that this has a much higher glycemic load than coconut palm sugar or xylitol.

This dark chocolate fudge is dairy-free, since many of my readers avoid dairy, especially pasteurized dairy (as do I). Dark chocolate has been studied extensively, and has shown to have powerful antioxidant, anti-aging properties. Dark chocolate has the most health benefits, including:

• Reducing Heart Disease Risk
  • Increasing Anti-Inflammatory Responses
  • Reducing Diabetes Risk
  • Protects Blood Vessels
  • Lowers Blood Pressure (Despite caffeine content)
  • Promotes Brain Function

All of these benefits are included in this dark chocolate fudge. More benefits are found in the coconut milk, which include medium chained fatty acids, shown to help in…

1. Weight loss
  2. Thyroid function
  3. Brain Health
  4. Heart Health

Aside from the health benefits, this fudge is just plain tasty. I don’t know about anyone else, but if it’s healthy and doesn’t taste good, then what’s the point?

What are your favorite, simple treats? Leave a comment below and let me know!

This is The Healthy Advocate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
13 Responses to “Coconut Milk Fudge”
  1. Emily 18 May 2012 at 2:51 pm #

Oh wow, I miss fudge! Thank you for this recipe. I would have to say that the simplest “treat” for me is just an apple, since I usually avoid most sugars. It’s neatly packed and full of nutrition.

• admin 18 May 2012 at 2:52 pm #

An apple is definitely a nice treat if you are normally avoiding sugars. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know how it turns out if you decide to make it. :)

2. Linda Nelson 18 May 2012 at 4:14 pm #

Please clarify. Stevia doesn’t appear in the Ingredients list, but it does appear in the instructions. I’ve never used it before. How much should be used in this recipe? Thank you! We’re trying to open a refuge for farm animals so we have many fund raising vegan bake sales. i can’t wait to make this for one of them.

• admin 18 May 2012 at 5:03 pm #

Hi Linda, thanks for stopping by! I made the recipe again today and I actually like it better without the stevia, so I have omitted it. Thank you for pointing it out! If you want to, you can lower the coconut palm sugar to 6 tbsp. and add 1/8 tsp. powdered stevia extract. Let me know how it goes! :)

3. Amy @ FragrantVanillaCake 19 May 2012 at 8:40 am #

I make my truffles from coconut milk, and I know it creates a wonderful flavor! This fudge sounds amazing! I imagine it is hard to stop eating ;) !

• admin 19 May 2012 at 10:41 am #

It most certainly is! :)

4. Michelle 29 May 2012 at 12:20 pm #

I haven’t found a baking chocolate that is corn and soy free so I am going to attempt this with Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. My daughter and I really miss fudge!

• admin 29 May 2012 at 1:00 pm #

Hi Michelle. I’m using pure, unsweetened baking chocolate. There is no other ingredient but “chocolate”. Note that if you use the chocolate chips, it will be very sweet. You might want to omit or reduce the coconut palm sugar. :)

5. Vitamins for Hair & Skin 29 May 2012 at 12:21 pm #

OMG this sounds absolutely amazing! Have you ever tried it with raw cocao paste instead of baking chocolate? I may give that a go and add some maca and acai!
    Thank you, what a great recipe idea!
    Nicole <3

• admin 29 May 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Hi Nicole. No, I actually haven’t tried this with raw cacao paste. That sounds really good, and so much more healthier! I would love to hear how this turns out if you decide to make it. :)

6. Jono 19 December 2013 at 10:18 am #

Wonderful recipe!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Slightly Indulgent Tuesday; 5/29/12 – Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free | Recipes For You! - May 29, 2012

[...] Coconut Milk Fudge from The Healthy Advocate [...]

2. Slightly Indulgent Tuesday; 5/29/12 | Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free - August 6, 2012

[...] Coconut Milk Fudge from The Healthy Advocate [...]