Wonderful Pound Cake
This recipe is a part of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free’s ‘Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays‘!
This gluten-free pound cake recipe was inspired by a recipe in my grandmother’s Better Home’s and Gardens cookbook. I was flipping through it the other day, wondering what I could make for the 4th of July, and the recipe for “Wonderful Pound Cake” flew at me instantly.
Try this on the 4th while watching fireworks, cooking out or whatever you do on the holiday. Although I didn’t show it in this picture, I like to top off gluten-free pound cake with some fresh whipped cream and small antioxidant rich berries, like strawberries and blueberries. A perfect gluten-free treat this holiday!
- ½ cup melted coconut oil or butter
- ¼ cup applesauce (or ¼ cup oil)
- ½-3/4 cup xylitol or coconut palm sugar (to taste)
- ⅛-1/4 tsp. stevia extract (to taste)
- ½ tsp. grated lemon peel (organic)
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup sifted coconut flour
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. grain-free baking powder
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9½ x 5¼ x 2¾" loaf pan (or cupcake liners) and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together oil, applesauce (if using), xylitol, stevia, lemon peel and juice and eggs together until well blended.
- Sift in coconut flour, salt and baking powder.
- Pour into loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until center is firm and fork inserted comes out clean.
Feel free to bake this gluten-free pound cake into individual cupcakes, so that they are evenly portioned out amongst you, your family and friends this holiday (or any day!).
Have a safe, and of course healthy, 4th of July!
-The Healthy Advocate