Top 5 Natural Sore Throat Remedies
A couple of days ago, I awoke with a scratchy, sore throat, something that seems to happen when the weather starts changing. I still had energy and felt great physically and mentally, but the sore throat really put a damper on trying to swallow food or conversing with others. I knew that I wanted this gone, and used every natural sore throat remedy I knew to my disposal. Lo and behold the next day, it was gone.
So, I thought that if you ever experience a sore throat, or if you are experiencing one right now, you can use these natural sore throat remedies to help you start feeling better fast. Sore throats can sometimes mean bacterial infection, so if you suspect this is the case, then it may be wise to seek professional help. Otherwise, if you are wanting to use natural and homeopathic ways first, then I suggest using all of these natural remedies to increase effectiveness.
Top 5 Natural Sore Throat Remedies
I used all of these natural tips I am sharing below to help get rid of my sore throat in under 24 hours. I can’t say that this will be the case for you, as everyone is different. I can say that they will help in some way, depending on the severity and duration of your sore throat.
- Tried and true – gargling with salt water. I never believed, for whatever reason, that gargling with warm salt water was good for a sore throat. I am now a believer. Warm 1 cup of water (not hot) and stir in 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt. Gargle with this warm water solution at the back of your throat several times throughout the day.
- Raw honey. Raw, organic honey is probably one the best sore throat remedy out there, because it utilizes natural compounds that help fight bacteria and also help coat and soothe the throat. Normally I do not use honey in large amounts due to its high sugar content; however, when it comes to raw, organic (and hopefully local) honey for soothing a sore throat, I say – use it.To use honey for a sore throat, there are several methods. The best is to use two teaspoons dissolved in a cup of hot herbal tea. You can also take it straight, or mix two teaspoons of honey with 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric. The turmeric is anti-inflammatory, which helps to fight inflammation and pain in the throat. The honey coats the throat, and the turmeric will adhere to areas of throat helping to fight inflammation and soreness.
- Coconut oil. Coconut oil, and coconut in general, is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-viral. I had so much coconut the day I woke up with my sore throat, which is what I attribute toward healing it under 24 hours, along with the above tips. Coconut oil may be more gentler on the throat, rather than dried coconut. Young coconut meat blended into a green smoothie (which is high in vitamin C, great for the immune system), or can be eaten straight. You could also mix a teaspoon of coconut oil into your honey mixture.
- Visualization. Ever heard of this one? Visualization, meditation, and acceptance have all been shown to lower stress levels, improve the immune system, and reduce pain and inflammation. Use your mind and imagine a white light healing your throat. Remember when you had a cut or wound and someone kissed it, and it started to feel better? The power of our minds is truly a remarkable thing, so use this knowledge to your advantage to help promote the health of your throat. Be grateful for your sore throat, too, as it helps you feel more appreciative of a healthy throat.
- Herbal Tea. The power of herbs are undeniable, and have been used far before conventional medicine. The best herbal tea you can use for a sore throat is one that contains liquorice root. This root can soothe your throat, especially if you combine it with 1-2 teaspoons of raw, organic honey. Another cooling, soothing herb is chamomile, so steep quite a few cups of these teas if a sore throat beckons.
Optional Additions: Just in case a cold was coming on, I also took a vitamin C supplement, as well as 5,000 IU of Vitamin D (it was a rainy, chilly day outside). Vitamin C and vitamin D help to improve immune system function dramatically, so you definitely need it every day.
Treating a sore throat is as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Although these natural sore throat remedies may not “cure” your sore throat in a matter of minutes, or even hours (if you are looking for a “cure”, you are better off with a doctor, which may be necessary depending on the severity of your conditions), they will go a long way toward a swift and speedy recovery.
Here is a complete list of all the items I recommended above for healing your sore and scratchy throat:
This is The Healthy Advocate