Homemade Lemonade Sweetened with Stevia
This recipe is part of Simply Sugar and Gluten-free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
Homemade lemonade. Summer in a glass. With each sip of this lemonade, which I sweetened with stevia, I experience happy memories of my summer childhood days. Even though it is only spring (which is basically summer in my part of the world), I still can’t help but experience the joys of the care-free days of summer each time I taste this sweet and tangy lemonade.
With only three ingredients, you can’t go wrong with this simple, warm-weather beverage. Although its health benefits are unsurpassable (at least compared to other drinks), it’s still just a darn good tasty treat. This beverage will hydrate you while working out in the garden, or while you are participating in outdoor sports.
There are a few health benefits of lemonade that I wanted to share in this post, along with the recipe for stevia lemonade. These health benefits include:
- Immune support. Lemon juice contains a high amount of vitamin C, which is a water-soluble vitamin that helps boost the immune system. Our immune system protects us from viruses and infections, and keeps us from catching colds, flus, and other bugs throughout the year. Just 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice contains 1/4 of your daily needs for vitamin C.
- Youthful skin. Vitamin C plays an integral part in producing collagen, a protein found in your skin. Collagen makes up about 25-35% of the entire body of the connective tissue, and we must protect it if we are wanting to promote and maintain a youthful appearance. Along with outward protection such as organic sunscreen or wearing protective clothing, the vitamin C in lemonade can help protect your skin from sun damage by working its magic internally.
- Increased antioxidant absorption. Our bodies do not absorb every nutrient, calorie, or antioxidant we take in, so finding ways to increase the amount of nutrients we absorb is crucial for optimal health. For increasing antioxidant absorption, thus increasing the amount of protection we have against environmental toxins and biological ageing, all we have to do is increase our intake of one nutrient – vitamin C. Drinking lemonade with your nutrient-dense meals will help increase the antioxidant protection you receive throughout the day.
- 4 cups water
- Juice of 2 whole lemons
- 12-16 drops liquid stevia
- In a large pitcher, mix all ingredients.
- Sweeten with stevia to taste.
We’re only 4 days away from picking the winner for the Tropical Traditions $50 gift certificate giveaway. If you haven’t entered yet, hop on over to this post and enter! We’re giving away one $25 gift certificates to two separate readers to my favourite coconut oil and coconut flour source, TropicalTraditions.com.
This is The Healthy Advocate.