Some of my dessert recipes use powdered coconut palm sugar to replace regular powdered sugar. Why do I use coconut palm sugar instead of powdered sugar? Well, there are a few reasons:
- Coconut palm sugar is low glycemic, resulting in a steadier rise in blood sugar and insulin (safe for most type 2 diabetics)
- Palm sugar contains valuable minerals your body needs on a daily basis, such as potassium, calcium, and trace amounts of zinc, iron, and vitamin C
- Versatile and can be used for most recipes, despite its brown colour and granular consistency
When I powder coconut palm sugar, I always use my Vitamix. The Vitamix gives a much lighter, softer, and finer texture than any other machine I have used. I’ve also heard of people powdering palm sugar in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet. This will work if you don’t have access to a high-speed blender.
Use powdered coconut palm sugar in frostings and cake recipes where powdered sugar is called for. Make sure to sift the powdered sweetener before adding to your recipes to prevent un-powdered granules from slipping through.
- 1 lb organic coconut palm sugar
- 2 tbsp. tapioca starch
- In a high-speed blender (or equivalent), blend palm sugar and starch together for 1-2 minutes.
- Store in a glass container until ready to use.
This is The Healthy Advocate.